How to test blood glucose
To check your blood glucose level, collect your blood glucose meter, a test strip and lancing device. You'll want to:
- Wash and dry your hands using warm water may help the blood flow.
- Turn on the meter and prepare a test strip as outlined in your owner's booklet.
- Choose your spot-don't check from the same finger all the time.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to prepare the lancing device and get a drop of blood from the side of your fingertip or other approved site.
- Check your blood sugar by touching and holding the test strip opening to the drop until it has absorbed enough blood to begin the test.
- View your test result and take the proper steps if your blood sugar is too high or low, based on your doctor's recommendations.
- Discard the used lancet properly.
- Record the results in a logbook, hold them in the meter's memory or download to a computer so you can review and analyze them later.